Importance of Guttering and Maintaining Gutter Health
Is your mind in the gutter? Well, it should be. Gutters are an important part of the home but are often ignored until a problem occurs. Critically, periodic gutter maintenance should be employed before a problem occurs to ensure the safety of your home — and your family. In this article, we’ll be discussing the importance of guttering and how to maintain your gutters correctly.
What do gutters do?
Gutters collect rainwater and divert it away from the home, protecting your home from water damage.
What are gutter problems and how do they occur?
If sufficient gutter maintenance isn’t performed regularly, your gutters will become prone to a number of issues. The most common are:
- Blockages – Debris, such as falling leaves or moss, can get stuck in your gutter and cause a blockage, preventing water from draining sufficiently.
- Leaks – Impacts to your gutter, such as from heavy snowfall, can cause physical damage and structural instability. Holes in your gutter will prevent water from draining sufficiently.
- Sagging gutters – Even if debris hasn’t caused a blockage, an abundance can weigh down your gutter, causing it to sag. This can lead to insufficient drainage and structural damage.
Why is gutter maintenance important?
Gutter maintenance is the process of cleaning or repairing your gutters and typically involves the removal of debris and the repairing of small cracks. Failing to tend to your gutters periodically will result in an accumulation of debris and cracks that can culminate as a serious issue, leaving your home temporarily vulnerable to water damage.
An abundance of water can wreak havoc on your home, causing issues such as:
- Damage to eaves.
- Pressure on the roof, leading to structural instability and leaks.
- Basement flooding, which can cause surface erosion and electrical damage.
- Erosion and weakening of a home’s foundations.
A functional gutter prevents all of these issues and more.
How do I keep my gutters in good condition?
You should check your gutters annually. The best time is around the start of winter — after the autumn leaves have fallen but before the harsh weather hits. It may also be worth investigating your gutters for damage after a bout of heavy rain/snowfall.
Due to the height and position of gutters, maintenance can be an awkward and unsafe task if done yourself. We strongly recommend hiring professionals to perform maintenance on your gutters. Not only are professionals trained and experienced enough to perform the task safely, but they also possess a keen eye for structural issues or damage that may otherwise go unnoticed by the typical homeowner. A team of professionals will completely remove any and all debris from your gutters, identify any damage and remedy it as required — even installing a brand new gutter if needed.
Here at TCK Roofing, we offer extensive guttering services to customers throughout the North, North West, West London, West Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire area, including Watford. Fully qualified and accredited, and with over 50 years in the industry, we guarantee efficiency, professionalism and results. We work on all types of guttering, and offer the same high standards of workmanship no matter the size of the project. If you’re in need of guttering maintenance, repair or installation, give our team a call today or contact us via our easy online form.