How to Increase Your Home’s Value with a New Roof
A new roof can increase your home’s value by improving selling price, selling time and kerb appeal. Not only this, but a new roof can improve the structural integrity and safety of your home whilst you’re still living there. A new roof may seem like a pricey investment, but the benefits it reaps are well worth the initial cost. So before you put up the ‘For Sale’ sign, here are some reasons why a new roof or well repaired roof can increase the value of your home.
How can I increase my home’s value with a new roof?
First impressions count. It is well known amongst property experts that home improvements can add value to your property, and can fetch you a bigger asking price when it comes time to sell. Exterior elements are particularly important as they are the most noticeable to buyers; this includes the roof, located in prominent place at the top of your home, so keeping it in good condition should be a priority.
Here are some essential ways to increase your home’s value with a new or very well maintained roof.
- The longevity and performance of your new roof will hinge on good workmanship and the best quality suitable materials, so make sure you hire a professional to deliver an expert installation of your new roof or to carry out the best quality repairs and improvement where needed. Not only will you be more satisfied, but potential buyers will be able to see the quality of a thorough job. TCK Roofing are specialists at delivering the highest quality roof installations on time and within budget, and will happily assist you with your project.
- Updating your roof by incorporating new materials, colours or styles, can give it a modern touch that is attractive to buyers. With many roofing styles and types available, replacement serves as a great chance to give your home a new look and boost its aesthetic appeal.
- If your roof is riddled with pests, asbestos-containing materials, rot or damp, it will not only be unhealthy and unsafe for you, but will be unappealing to potential buyers. A good surveyor’s report will highlight defects and damages which are a cause of great worry for buyers, and can result in the asking price being reduced to cover the repair costs. Replacing your roof is therefore a great opportunity to enhance the health and safety of your home, which is always a big selling point for any property.
- If you want to avoid replacing your roof entirely, it’s still wise to perform the necessary repairs or essential maintenance to keep your roof watertight and in good working condition. Therefore it may be worth enlivening tired and deteriorated areas of your roof, such as repairing cracks or other apparent issues. Ideally you should be glancing over your roof at least once a year to check its condition, identifying and fixing any leaks or moss growth. Areas where deterioration or creeping dampness are apparent, or hidden out of sight, can lead to serious wet rot decay and weakening of the roof structure, incurring further repair costs.
How much value can a new roof add to my home?
There are many ways to add value to your home, but it is predicted that a new, modern roof can add great value to your property. According to an article by thisismoney.co.uk, a new roof can return up to 63% on your investment, beating the value offered by a new kitchen or bathroom.
This increase in value depends on several factors, including the style of the new roof, how it architecturally enhances your home, and the location of your property.
What are the benefits of adding a new roof to my home?
The benefits of adding a new roof to your home outweigh the initial cost, and can enhance the enjoyment of your home in the present, as well as boosting the efficiency of the sale in the future.
- Selling time: A more aesthetically appealing and safe home is not likely to spend as long on the market before it sells in the present market. And if your home sells more quickly, this will save you money on estate agent and marketing fees, and make the overall process more efficient.
- Safety: Problems such as trapped dampness, wet or dry rot, deteriorated disturbed and cracked slate/tiles or other roof membrane covering can greatly compromise the health and structural integrity of your roof. It is essential that these issues are fixed by a specialist to maintain your roof’s condition. A new roof can solve these issues and grant a level of safety that both you and future buyers can appreciate.
- Energy efficiency: Warm air escapes through a roof, so if it’s in bad condition or poorly insulated, this can be detrimental to the energy efficiency of your home. A new roof can alleviate this issue by creating a covering that keeps the heat in. This can result in a warmer home and reduction in energy bills. Not only will this be kinder to your pocket, but it will also be less harmful for the environment. All roofs should be properly ventilated to prevent condensation or trapped dampness problems happening.
- Selling price: New buyers who visit your property are usually looking for what’s right with the property, as well as what’s wrong. If the roof is in poor condition, it will be noticeable to buyers and they will take into consideration any out of pocket expenses on their part, which could reduce the selling price. If the buyer employs a skilled surveyor to inspect the property, the surveyors report should pick up on the noticeable defects and damages that exists. Replacing the roof is sure-fire way to add value to your property and hike up the selling price.
- Longevity: A professionally fitted new slate, tile or lead roof possesses a life expectancy of over 70 years; asphalt and quality shingle roofs have a life expectancy of over 50 years; the best quality SBS.APP 3 layer high performance felt bonded securely into a hot bitumen base has a life expectancy of 30 years or more. Single ply roofs have a little more risk factor and great care has to be taken to protect the surface against foot traffic, or heavy or sharp debris falling onto it.
The roof on a property is as important as the foundation. Quality roofs prevent leaks, dampness and other damage from occurring. Roofs also protect the outer walls at higher levels against seeping dampness, deterioration and damage.
If you’re looking for an experienced roofing contractor to replace or repair your roof, then TCK Roofing can help. We pride ourselves on our 47 years of trading, and our extensive knowledge and skills. Our company have experience at installing a range of materials and roof styles, including lead, copper, asphalt, metal, flat roofs, pitched roofs and green roofs. To find out how we can boost your home’s value and protect against further damage happening, get in touch with our friendly team by calling 020 3124 1983 today or get in touch online.